Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's the final countdown...

..to my eventual properly thought out Maine Pyaar Kiya review, but I still wanted to type up some thoughts about it before I get on my own laptop, screencap and sit down to write the review it deserves.

So right now I have this much to say:

1. This is definitely my favourite Rajshri productions film so far. HAHK was alright, but lacked plot. Don't get me wrong, MPK did not have an ingenious plot to it, but it still had clear dramatic tensions from the get go. It was sweet but not vommit-inducing like HSSH and its 'traditional heroine' didn't annoy me at all (unlike in Vivah).

2. Salman Khan is cute, but Bhagyashree is cuter. Sigh. Too bad for us filmi fans she ended up making the life decisions she made and chose family life over an acting career. (Unless you count the awful films she made with her husband.)

3. I never realized how much Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana borrowed from this movie! I still love the 2005 Telugu hit to death, and think it stands on its own, in a sort of fresh more modern spin on DDLJ/MPK but nevertheless, I now realize a lot was lifted from this film.

4. The songs! The songs! I have "Dil deewana" stuck in my head, I love the first song in all its cheese, and of course, the rooftop picturization that lifts from Europe's "Final Countdown", a hilarious hair metal song from way back when. There's nothing all that extraordinary about the songs but I still have a feeling I will be rewatching these a lot. Especially the Antakshari - great stuff.

5. No, it doesn't quite make my ultimate favourites list and for the first 40 minutes or so I was mainly just amused at the glorious 80's-ness of the film. Regardless, the love story was adorable and it was entertaining, so I liked it enough. One thing that struck me was the fact nobody had previously hugely recommended this film to me. It pains me to think of all of those who foolishly watch Hum Saath-Saath Hain or some of this other modern overly sweet fluff rubbish and miss out on the slightly older goodness. So consider this request; look beyond the fashion and check out Maine Pyaar Kiya.

6. The buddypyaari between the fathers had me giggling more than once. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'..

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think using the word "glorious" next to "80s" might be illegal :-D

This was good fun, and I agree completely re: Bhagyashree. Maybe she'll make a comeback; she is still v.v. beautiful.

Nicki said...

Yah, you finally get to see it.

Did you ever read my review on it?

Here it is

Anonymous said...

Yeah, MPK is probably better than the rest of the stuff Sooraj Barjatya made. It hasn't aged too well for me, but it still stands out as one of the highlights of my hormonally addled adolescence. I used to have a HUGE crush on Bhagyashree back then :-)

I totally loved the throwaway reference to this movie in Om Shanti Om where you see a young Sooraj standing and taking notes outside the tent where Om and Shanti are talking about friendship!

~ramsu

ajnabi said...

Sooraj Barjatya? Oh man, I just don't know if I can take another. Wait. Isn't he the one who did MPKDH too?

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

the "buddypyaari" tickles me to death ggl. I agree w/ Ramsu that it hasnt aged well, but wth- I can happily watch Salman and Mohinish over and again :)

veracious said...

memsaab - Bhagyashree has done TV and regional films so I guess in a way she's still active. I think time is ripe for a MPK rehash starring her and Salman, definitely.

Nicki - Thanks! I meant to check out your review after watching. :)

celluloidrant - It's pretty cheesy but all the same, a very cute movie and definitely better than the other Sooraj Barjatya films I've seen. Thanks for pointing out the OSO connection, I couldn't remember where I'd seen that scene referenced in.

ajnabi - He might've. Take your time, let memories of Vivah fade .. then watch MPK. :)

Shweta - The buddypyaari was ..much more pyaari than buddy in here. XD

Anonymous said...

Is it okay to call MPK by a different name, like Revenge of the Killer Mutant Pigeons? :-D

~ramsu

veracious said...

ramsu - The thought did cross my mind while watching.. ;D